As you know, I had hoped to start building business again from last week, and I'm pleased that the few that had lessons were happy with the safety measures and enjoyed getting back behind the wheel. Today though, the DVSA (the people responsible for driving standards, tests/examiners etc.) issued a statement which means that I will need to postpone lessons again for a while.
Due to the fact that practical tests cannot be booked at the moment, my plans to do fortnightly lessons for some will no longer be worthwhile. When it does happen, it's apparent that the reopening of Test Centres will not be a quick process, as well as arranging PPE etc. for those examiners who are safe to work. So for those with an allocated test date, these are to be put 'on hold'.
The DVSA say: "This means the test will no longer go ahead on the originally rescheduled date."
The DVSA will be inviting test reapplications at some point in batches and you will hear from them in due course.
For those just starting driving, I would love to restart teaching, as I am happy that the risks are manageable and small, but it seems there is a chance that the police might disagree and I could be cautioned and possibly reported to the DVSA. Obviously, this is a risk I'd rather not take.
Many Driving Schools (and now Fit2drive, hopefully!) are planning to restart in early July, but even this cannot be guaranteed. When I have more detail, I will let you know. In the meantime, if you're at the right stage and can get private practice, keep at it!
As ever, Keep safe and keep well.